Military POV: How to Ship Your Car To and From Hawaii
No other profession requires its members to be as adaptable as the military. Constantly being on the move, changing stations, and deploying to new and unfamiliar locations are all part of the job. This means you’ll need to figure out how to get all of your family members and belongings to your new home. One of the biggest challenges, of course, is your car.
Shipping your car to or from Hawaii means finding a reputable transportation company to deliver it. You’ll also need the right paperwork along with setting the right expectations for delivery times.
Here’s more on the process of shipping your military POV to or from Hawaii:
What Documents Do I Need to Ship My Car To or From Hawaii?
Documentation is an essential part of a shipping a military POV. You’ll save yourself some time and hassle by gathering these documents beforehand:
- Proof of registration: Verify you are the owner of the vehicle by presenting the vehicle’s registration or the vehicle’s title.
- Proof of identity: Show your government issued ID to the shipping company as part of the paperwork process.
- Proof of entitlement: Bring a copy of your military relocation orders.
- IAL Form: Print and complete the IAL form prior to arriving at the port.
- Authorization of the lien holder: If your vehicle is leased, you will need to provide an authorization letter from the lien holder allowing the vehicle to be exported. Authorization should be printed on the leasing company’s letterhead and include the vehicle’s make, model, year, color, VIN, and contact information.
- DOT and EPA stickers: These stickers verify the vehicle complies with environmental standards of the state of import.
How Much Does Shipping My Car To or From Hawaii Cost?
Military members who are relocating may receive one POV transport at the military’s expense. If you have more than one personal vehicle, it’s up to you to cover the costs of any additional vehicles.
The cost of shipping your vehicle to or from Hawaii will vary depending on the moving company and other factors. Generally speaking, expect to pay anywhere from $2,000 to $3,000 per vehicle. Coastal Auto Shipping can provide a quote for service based on your unique use cases.
How to Prepare for a Military POV Shipment
Ready to make your move? You’ll want to prepare for your military POV shipment ahead of time to ensure smooth sailing.
First and foremost, clean out your vehicle to remove any personal belongings, important papers, or debris.
You’ll also want to inspect the vehicle for any leaks, windshield cracks, or other defects that might affect the move. As a rule, your car should have a working emergency brake. Any vehicle that isn’t operable will not be eligible for POV transport.
If shipping to Hawaii, your vehicle will need to pass the Hawaii State Safety Inspection, which can be done at almost any auto shop in the state. Once you pass inspection, you’ll be able to register the vehicle.
Ship Your POV with Confidence!
At Coastal Auto Shipping, we pride ourselves on providing safe, effective transport to or from Hawaii. Contact us today for a free quote!